SC - Fw: [TY] Fruits From 'New World'

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Apr 29 21:13:04 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com <WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 29. apríl 1999 23:19
Subject: Re: SC - Fw: [TY] Fruits From 'New World'

>Question 1:  Remembering that CNN is a modern innovation, and mass
>communication, well, wasn't, who was John Evelyn, and was he in a position
>KNOW, for certain sure, that the one he reports on in his diary for that
day
>WAS the first one?  Random knowledge, especially before the last century or
>so, was possible.

Of course, and I certainly wasn´t quoting this as absolute proof that this
was the first pineapple ever brought to England, only that one of the
foremost British gardening experts of the 17th century believed that it was.

"Evelyn, John (1620-1706)
Besides translating the most noted French gardening books, John Evelyn was
the author of Kalendarium Hortense. Evelyn's Diary is full of references to
gardens. He made a famous garden at Sayes Court, and he outlined a book on
gardening, which, had he completed it, would have been of the first
importance."

>Question 2: Do we know who the artist of the painting is, or does anyone
>possibly have an art history book handy to give us some info?  IF we know
who
>painted it, we may be able to ascertain approximately when he/she painted
it.

Don´t know about the artist but I´ve seen the story of Rose presenting the
first pineapple grown in England to Charles II mentioned in several sources.
But, to confuse the matter further, I´ve also come across a source that says
John Tradescant, gardener to Charles I, was the first man to succeed in
growing a pineapple in England, and that the pineapples at each end of
Lambeth Bridge on the Thames commemorate this.

>What's the dateline for the word
>"cone" to be used in a "pine" context?

The word pineapple first appeared in print in 1664, in John Evelyn´s
Gardener´s Calendar.  Pinecone didn´t appear in print until about 30 years
later.

Nanna