SC - Pennsic cooking classes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Apr 9 23:38:08 PDT 1999

Someone mentioned the idea of a class on sauces.

I think this would be a wonderful class and would be interested in
attending such a class myself.

While I occasionally get to taste a few sauces at a feast, it is
usually only two or three. It would be nice to have a wider
selection to taste. Perhaps with a small booklet of sauce recipes
available for an extra fee.

While I do have a number of recipes in my cookbooks and in the sauces-msg
file in my Florilegium, I've not spent the time to make many of them.
And if I do, it won't be more that one or two at once.

So, perhaps the highlight of the class could be sampling of six or
seven or more sauces. I don't know what on. But perhaps it could
even be done on meat slices for not too much of a fee. The sauces
could all be made at home and kept in an icebox until the class,
right?

If there is a history of sauces or some sort of progression through
the years this could be covered. Or perhaps by different sauces for
different items.

I'm really thinking of the sauces you put on sliced meat rather
than those such as garum or murri but these could be covered too.
These are used in cooking rather than at the table, right?

Or if this doesn't end up being a class, would folks be interested
in doing such a thing for the SCA-Cook's list gathering? Perhaps
some of us with limited cooking facilities or travel space could
make one or more sauces and bring them? And maybe someone else could
bring some meat or we might be able to get that in town?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****