SC - big spice question

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 05:53:47 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/10/99 2:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, him at gte.net
writes:

<< So, pure math out not
 solve my up scaling the recipes for that size crowd.  Is that a true
statment? >>

For certain spices, this is true. For instance black pepper and cloves. One
of the easiest ways to get the right amount of black pepper is to simply
grind it across the top of the dish you are putting it in, when the surface
is lightly covered with pepper flakes that is usually just about right. :-)
Another way, is to simply make the dish in seperate batches and combine them
then the proportions would be the same. Which brings to mind  the question of
why all the seasonings can't just be multipied simply for large amounts. In
my personal experience this is usually the case except in baking where the
rules are rather stringent. I just scale them up exactly, add 3/4 of the
amount obtained and  taste for further additions , if necessary, after 10 or
15 minutes of cooking. This seems to work for me with consistent results.

For other things though , this is decidedly not true. For instance most herbs
can be scaled up exactly proportion wise. For instance a dish fo 10 calling
for 1 tsp oregano,, parsley, celery or thyme would take 10 tsps for 100
servings.

Ras