SC - Re: coffee? tea!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 13 06:52:28 PDT 1999

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Yes, I can, but I don't *like* chewing my sandals!!
>
> >Have you considered looking for period substitutes? There are lots of
> >good,
> >period sweet pastry type things, although they don't have chocolate in
> >them. Off hand, I can't think of any good period sources of caffeine
> >and
> >tannin, but perhaps someone else can.

Caffeine, no, but for tannin, you could make a batch of the post-period
(but closer than Digby!) Strong Ale from Gervase Markham's "The English
Hus-Wife". Not necessarily an early-morning head clearer, though...;  )

I wonder how the Digby Small Mead would be if aged a bit in an oaken cask?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com