SC - tomatoes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 16:21:03 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/14/99 12:04:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
slzgs at cc.usu.edu writes:

<< If tomatoes are period for southern Italy >>

They are?

<<and highly used in the 15th  century>>

They weren't America was not discovered until 1492C.E. The 8 ryrs. thereafter
is not is only about a third of tyhe time that it would take a newly
discovered plant to becaome 'widely' used'. By the 1500's tyhey may have been
used in isolated areas as food and probably were  most likely beginning to be
seen in continental botanical gardens and possibly by the mid-16th century
(1550 plus) they were being grown as 'ornamantals or unusual garden plants
especially the yellow cherry type tomatoes and possibly white tomatoes  by
the Elizabethans.

<< how come I can not find period recipes for using tomatoes
 in English or French?

Because they weren't being used there. They certainly weren't being used in
the 15th century in either of those countires. The 16th possibly. (See
above).

<< Any help appreciated. >>

Stefan may have extensive information in the Flore-thingy regarding tomatoes
as we have discussed this in detail in the past.

Ras