SC - pepper history

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 15:30:19 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/16/99 12:55:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< I would be interested in seeing more about this growing of chilies in
 Europe in 1493.  >>

This info would interest me also since  the Dept. of Agriculture Yearbook
where I originally started reading about capsicums states that they were a
'major' agricultural crop in the Meditteranean BASIN by 1523 from which i
assumed they meant the sea side areas of the Ottoman Empire and possibly
southern Italy and southern Spain, Egypt, Libya, etc. The use of hot peppers
in those cuisines in modern times lends some creedence to the theory. I had
also read that through Spanish/Islamic trade, it was introduced not only into
the parts of Europe settled by Islamic people (Hungary, Yugoslvia, etc) but
also on into India and farther East. From there it was reintroduced  back
into Europe into France , Germany and England. I may be wrong but this is the
basic timeline I see regarding the movement of capsicums from the New World
to Northern European countries.

Ras