SC - big spice question

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sat Apr 17 23:48:28 PDT 1999

The solids only stayed in the water that I simmered for 30 minutes to extract
trhe oils before i put in the honey to sterilize. The only non water non honey
substance that stayed ion the fermenter for the duration was the yeast. They
bubbled away quite happily for the better part of 6 months and 2 filterings[well,
the dead yeast clumps and can be filtered out with gauze leaving the live
beasties in to ferment more...]
margali

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/17/99 3:01:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> margali at 99main.com writes:
>
> << I have made mead with clove as an ingredient, and i multiplies my 1 gallon
>  recipe into 5 gallons and it came out so overwhelmingly clove it was
>  undrinkable!

When making a recipe, for example the mead, If my one gallon batch calls for 5
cloves, when i make a 5 gallon batch, i would use 25 whole cloves, I done buy
ground cloves, and for liquors and cooking unless it specifically calls for
powdered cloves that remain i the food, i use whole and remove them[actually, i
dont particularly like cloves, and tend to go short with them...]
If you remember, last summer when we were discussing measuring, I was the one who
pointed out that there were differences between the liquid and dry measures...;-)