SC - distilling

Kappler, MMC Richard A. KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil
Tue Apr 20 11:41:44 PDT 1999

<< Is distilling the essential oils in rose water, covered by the
statutes
that
 govern distilling alcohol?

 Arglwydd Aeddan ap Trahaearn >>

Yes. Any type of distilling is covered by the law.

Ummmmm, actually, I think not.  At least not federal law.  Back on the
dist list some months ago we had just this discussion, and I
ahem...borrowed.....appropriated....aw heck, purloined a copy of the CFR
dealing with ATF, and more specifically, distilling. These are now
webbed out there somewhere, though for the life of me I can't remember
where. If memory serves (ie, I haven't killed off too terribly many grey
cells) the CFR covers distillation of alcohol.  HOWEVER, IMHO m'lord Ras
speaks from experience, although I believe that experience to primarily
of Pa law.  It would not surprise me a bit if PA does indeed restrict
all forms of distilation, but I am 99.9% certain federal law does not.
In fact, you can buy stills over the net, quite legally, from US
sources, for the distilation of essential oils.  You may USE alcohol in
the process, you may not MAKE alcohol in the process, IAW federal law.
Might I suggest contacting Lady Dragonfyr, who ahs graciously archived
our several nefarious and jolly discussions, and therein you shall not
only find the information you seek on distilling, but also links to
actual copies of the CFRs and other pertinent information.

standing by for the wrath of Ras, Puck