SC - more distilling

Kappler, MMC Richard A. KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil
Tue Apr 20 12:23:21 PDT 1999

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:00:26 -0400
From: Jeff Gedney <JGedney at dictaphone.com>
Subject: Re: SC - Distilling

FWIW, I have checked into this.
Alas, technically, ALL Distilling in the US is forbidden without
license.

HOWEVER, It is MUCH easier to get a license for non-potable product
distillation, such as getting essential oils. OR making fuel, or
Distilled water for non-drinking purposes.

I do not know what class the production of foodgrade rosewater would
fall into, however. I think that the ATF could tell you what the
requirements are in such a case.

brandu

Again, I disagree.  This statement is just too general, and is not
supported by the CFR's that I have read.  I can in fact, quite legally,
distill my own water.  I can go on the net (http://floragenics.com/ for
example, no affiliation) and buy distillation equipment for essential
oils without a license.  I cannot buy or manufacture equipment for the
distillation of alcohol without a license.  In mid e-mail, I called BATF
(one Agent Charles Bacon) at the Boston field office, (617-565-7073) and
verified that in fact, the Federal government only regulates the
distillation of ethyl alchol.  If you want to distill essential oil from
plant matter on the front steps of your local BATF office, the only ones
that are going to get nervous are the local fire department.  The BATF
folks will just yawn and go their merry way.  MIND YOU, local laws may
apply that DO forbid all forms of distillation, but if you are TOLD
this, I recommend you ask to see a copy of the statute.  I suspect that
you will find the bureaucrats have an interpretation of the law based on
what they think it should be or have heard it is.  What you will find
when you read the actual statute however, may vary greatly with what you
are told it says.

Regards, Puck