SC - Greetings and Chicken

Michelle Groulx dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 21 18:39:48 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Wendy <penguin2 at telusplanet.net>

>Sorry, this is the terminology used up here.

This terminology was used sca-wide until very recently. Of course, its your
choice. The postings on this subject MAY be in Stephans Florilegium, I
dunno, but it might
explain a little clearer WHY these terms were deemed necessary to drop.
Again, its your call.

>  This is another reason I don't like research.  How can I
>possibly learn everything from scratch and why when so many have already
done it.  Language, food, clothing,
>hair, crafts, arms and armor... I can't learn everything all at once and I
have to rely on those who have
>come before me.

Time my dear.

Granted, I respect your choices and of course, your interests. And certainly
no one is suggesting that you HAVE to do anything. If you choose to be only
a cook that pumps out dinner for 2 or 300 of your friends, that is something
I would certainly respect. However, having a background knowledge of what
you are doing would certainly bring your experience full circle and indeed
make you a better kitchen steward/head cook/feastocrat/or whatever.

>Did you miss my comment about being a 3 hour drive away.  A site visit
would have been nice, but not
>feasible.  Also, one of the cooks lived 3 hours past that, in essence 6
hours from me.  Made planning
>difficult.

Yup, sorry I missed that. You do, however, have email. You could have asked
someone to do the site visit for you and report back to you with the
details. There are many ways that you could employ without having to
literally walk into a site blind.

>> A feast doesn't just cook itself, there is much preplanning
>> involved as well as what can be pre-cooked and frozen without losing the
>> quality of the dish itself.
>
>This was done, but things still have to be reheated.

And can be done. I did a assigned pot luck feast with 24 dishes (read: 125
individual contributions) for 12th Night in February with only 2 stoves and
1 microwave. A slightly logistical nightmare, but do-able nonetheless.
Organization is one of the many many skills a really good sca cook has to
develop and hone.

>Thanks for your suggestions,

Any time Caitlin.

Micaylah