SC - Saffron

Fri Apr 23 04:40:26 PDT 1999

> >> Bang on.  As a cute little side note, apparently the seeds are used to
> make
> >> a gout remedy known as colchicine.
>

> I hate to be pedantic, but this is incorrect. Colchicine is "a yellow,
> crystalline alkaloid extracted from the seeds and corm of *Colchicum
> autumnale*."
>
> Francesco Sirene

It isn't pedantry to correct errors of fact.  The information was from a
brief note in a historical quick reference, which I happened to find
interesting.  Since they failed to correctly identify the plant, it
demonstrates the authors were more interested with the historical tidbit
than the accuracy.  I'll gloss the text to keep from repeating the error.

Bear