SC - Fw: Re: Distilling

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Fri Apr 23 06:12:54 PDT 1999

What do you thing the penalties on bootlegging ARE??
they are a part of the Tax code, and the penalty is for not paying tax on the liquor.
That is tax evqasion.
Agreed, Big Al was caught on a relatively unrelated tax count, but I think that the point holds, because the particular tax code that they caught Capone on is even less often enforced than the ones that deal with liquor taxes.

My point is that these regulations May be "often or never enforced", but as long as they are on the books, they can be levied, and can be made to hurt, anytime some ATF agent wants to make points, or needs to scapegoat someone, or whatever.
The best way to avoid that is to simply not break the law.
I have often founsd that there is no real safe way to do an "End Run" around the law. You are as likely to get hurt, as anything else.

I do not want to spend 35 years in a Federal Penitentiary, because some Missouri or Georgia ATF agent says, "well, we never enforcee that anymore", but in my local office, some hotshot decides that I am a menace.

brandu

>>> "Daniel Phelps" <phelpsd at gate.net> 04/22 8:14 PM >>>

>Don't forget, that these regulations are the very same that got Al Capone.

Sorry to disagree on an out of period historical point but if I am not
mistaken they got Big Al on tax evasion.   My great uncle was a bootlegger
up in Michigan.   Pops was offered his still back in the late 40s said it
was the prettiest copper one he ever saw.  Turned it down.

Daniel Raoul