SC - Keeping out the idle curious

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Sat Apr 24 06:42:26 PDT 1999

	I think I turned this around, in my kitchen at least.  After years of
asking people to  not stay in the kitchen unless they helped, posting signs,
and bribing a friend to guard the door, I finally stopped. I posted that all
curious are allowed to come in, that my kitchen was open to "inspection"and
friendly conversation. When someone would come in, I'd say "Sure, I'd love to
talk to you, but I have to do this (specific) chore first. When it gets done,
I'll have some time to talk to you". It actually worked !! I got more help,
because they could see  what needed to be done (especially washing  dishes),
and they were motivated to begin their conversation, so they often helped me.
A side benefit was that I did not need to be "on top of everyone" and I could
speak to the questioner. For those who helped, proper sanitation was
practiced of course.
	I find that sometimes those who "bother" the food preparers are often
bored and with a little kindness and direction,will help out if you explain
the procedure and how easy it is. I spoke to some newcomers who helped me
out. They said they were intimidated by how much  work there seemed to be and
they hadn't a clue where to start. They were able to help and did when I made
simple specific requests.
	The last time I tried this, I came out calm and happy,the food was
warm and palatable, there were volunteers in the cleanup that I had never
seen before, and we left the kitchen clean an entire hour before we used to.
It is still one of my favorite events...........

Hope this helps ,
Andrea MacIntire
Ostgardr