SC - Re: Getting hot

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Fri Apr 23 22:31:19 PDT 1999

>But could one of you native southwesterners please teach this Iowan how
>make a MEAN chili?
>
>I'd appreciate it....oh....and on the meat subject....venison works
just as
>well, (I've tried it!)  and we all know that that our corn-fed venison
is
>the best in the world!  So...I'm not lacking in the meat department!
:-)

Winnifred, the following has been posted (from memory and from
saved texts) for several years -- what I show here is a variation,
from memory.  I have shared it in several venues over the years,
Scouts and SCA and "alternative religion" lists / groups / gatherings.

AND it uses venison ... or whatever is on hand and choppable /
grindable.
(But is thoroughly out-of-period / not backed by research other than the
cook-it-and-enjoy kind...)

Kihe Blackeagle's Three-Meat Chili:
One pound each
     Course-ground beef ("chili grind") OR cubes of stew beef
             (Cubes no larger than 1/2 inch on a side)
     Ground pork OR mild pork sausage ("no sage" works best)
     Venison pieces (see below) OR Ham (see below) OR other meat

4 tablespoons cooking oil (your choice; I've used olive, canola, and
only
     the pork fat from the sausage)

One tablespoon vinegar (best is balsamic, else whatever is on hand)

Chili powder, to taste (I prefer Williams "regular" in the foil
envelope)
Thyme (to taste, with a suggested minimum of 1/2 tsp. for 3 pounds)
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne (powder)
Garlic (to taste: min. 1 tsp. powder or two cloves well-minced /
crushed)
opt.: additional pepper source - sauce, powder, sliced, whatever
     NO BELL PEPPER!!!
16 oz. Tomato Sauce
1 can Tomato paste
1 15 oz. can chopped or stewed tomatoes
    OR 2 large chopped fresh tomatoes
1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped fairly fine

12 oz. Beer (I use whatever's on hand, prefer Coors Extra Gold or Stag)
"12 oz" V-8 or Tomato Juice, more or less to taste
Water

opt.: one envelope hot chocolate mix or other sugar source
     (chocolate _usually_ not used for House Dreamwind of the Shadowed
Moon)
opt.: salt -- SEE "NOTE" BELOW!
opt.: other spices to taste: cinnamon, paprika, horseradish, etc., etc.

Large stewpot w/cover; dutch oven is preferred

Preparation:
      For venison, this recipe works well with even marginal cuts
normally only
suitable for cautious grinding and removal of strifling, tendons,
cartilage,
and such (from legs, neck, etc.).  Begin with frozen / half-frozen
pieces,
remove as much of the strifling (muscle sheathing) and such as possible
and cut meat into small pieces (1/4 to 1/2 cubes at most).  For better
cuts,
continue to next step. Otherwise, process a half cup or so of the pieces
through a blender pulsed to high for 5 seconds at a time -- until the
remaining
connective tissue has been broken up "enough".

     For other "third" meats, cube very small (e.g. 1/4 inch cubes for
ham)

     Heat cookpot, add oil, crumble pork/sausage, brown, remove, drain
(reserve grease in usable form if possible -- a colander may help).

     Brown beef in oil / grease, remove, drain.

     Add "third meat" in small batches (to cook thoroughly).
     Drain, reserving oil/grease -- a "separator cup" is useful at this
point.

     Add as much of the non-grease liquid back as possible, along with
chopped onion.  Cook onion until translucent.  Add all meat, beer,
vinegar,
and "durable" spices. Add juice and sufficient water to cover, bring to
full
boil, reduce heat. Cover & Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

     Add tomato sauce, paste, and stewed / chopped tomatoes.
Cover & Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

    Add remaining spices EXCEPT prepared chili powder.
Cover & Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Adjust liquid as necessary by adding water.

     Add prepared chili powder, stir thoroughly; return to heat.
NOTE: this is the earliest point at which salt should be added;
use particular care if a salt-cured meat has been included.

Taste, adjust spices as needed.  Cover & simmer, with occasional
stirring, for at least 15 minutes additional.  Check spicing again,
adjust.

Remove from heat. Allow to cool. Serve.
     OR
Refrigerate overnight (or freeze). Remove from refrigeration,
skim excess grease. Return to full heat, gently. Stir regularly

Serving Suggestions: dish this up with sweet cornbread, hearty
wholegrains, or your choice of other breads / crackers.  Chopped
sweet onions, grated cheddar, and other toppings according to
experience and tastes.

I'm a purist: beans on the side, if you please!

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com