SC - Growing Ginger!

Gryphon's Moon margritt at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 30 07:10:17 PDT 1999

>In a message dated 4/22/99 11:34:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>margritt at mindspring.com writes:
>
><< long-forgotten piece of ginger root in the midst of my spring cleaning. It
> had not only sprouted, but had also begun forcing its way out of a thin
> plastic bag >>
>
>Margritte -
>
>You didn't mention what part of the world you are in but here in sunny
>southern Florida, I have oodles of varieties of ginger, flowering and edible,
>in my yard.  I have never tried it as a house plant.  On the other hand I
>have had success growing other things as house plants that were supposed to
>be impossible.  (I have a camilla from Maryland that has bloomed for three
>years running and they are touted by the experts not to grow this far south)
>
>I don't recall that it is particularly good with cold and I know it needs
>moderate moisture and pretty good sun.  If you are in a warm climate, plant
>it out where it will get good sun in a fairly well drained soil.  It will
>grow into quite a tall plant and will be awhile before you have canes enough
>to cut out roots but once it is established, it is pretty hardy.  The flowers
>are most glorious!!!!!
>
>If you are in a cold clime, I would say, put it into a deep pot, give it
>plenty of sun and let us know what happens.

I'm in north Georgia (zone7?). I've got the ginger in a pot on the front
porch now, but can take it in over the winter. You mention different
varieties of ginger-- are all of them edible? Do they vary significantly in
how they taste?

- -Margritte

Gryphon's Moon - 14K Gold & Silver Celtic rings and more!
To make your shopping easier we accept VISA & MasterCard.

Check out our web site at: <http://www.gryphonsmoon.com>
Or email us at <mailto:sales at gryphonsmoon.com>