SC - Re: seder menu.

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 2 07:15:40 PST 1999

Salut!
The seder menu looked fabulous, and I wish I was there.  I had a few
comments though...

Unless you are sephardic (spanish/morrocan Jews) legumes are plum out,
which would make the chick pea dish traif (I think garbanos are legumes).

Gefilte fish is traditionally made with carp, not pike and whitefsh.  Pike
and whitefish is a later adaptation, and was done so because the two fish
ground together come close to resembling carp.

Other than that though.... yum!!!!

It is funny about the Sephardim.  I think the extra limitations arose from
poor crop years in the north, which didn't affect the Spaniards and the
middle eastern Jews.  I had seder with some Iranian Jews once and the food
was wonderous, but the peanut-pea dish was not exactly what I was
expecting.

Cu drag,
Bogdan

Jeffrey Heilveil			    Bogdan din Brasov
Department of Entomology		MoAS, Barony of Wurm Wald
University of Illinois		    	  Bucatar-sef, Wurm Wald
heilveil at uiuc.edu			      Middle Kingdom
(217) 398-9529
ICQ: 34699710 	               A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_