SC - Re: seder menu.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 2 08:48:41 PST 1999

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

>  >>>>Gefilte fish is traditionally made with carp, not pike and whitefsh.
> Pike
>  and whitefish is a later adaptation, and was done so because the two fish
>  ground together come close to resembling carp.>>>
>
> True.  But I could not get those fishes and in the spirit of
> experimenting,,,,,,,,,

And given the fact that pike and whitefish are probably adaptations for
those who either couldn't get, or didn't want to deal with, carp,
tilapia is probably no worse an adaptation.  Oddly enough, pike are
easily as bony as carp, but there is an odd method of filleting them
that gives you five asymmetrical (sort of) pieces of meat that avoids
the bones nicely.

I assume the pike/whitefish version is American, since while pike are
European fish (and indigenous to the New World too), I think the
whitefish is New World.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy