SC - OT, OOP, Gas prices

Wed Apr 7 04:26:09 PDT 1999

Complaining about high gasoline prices is a perennial sport in the US.
There are a number of hidden taxes involved in the pump price and everyone
knows the oil companies are going to take advantage of any problem to gouge
the consumer.  It is great sport to hear the shock when someone goes driving
in Europe for the first time.

The other side of the coin is once you get out of the high population
density areas of the US.  Fuel and transportation are close to necessities.
Travel distances are large, mass transit is spotty or non-existent, and the
automobile is the most practical means of transportation.

As an example, I live in Norman, Oklahoma.  A north-south line of railroad
tracks runs through the town.  There is no local rail service and for me to
take the train to other states, I must drive to Texas or Kansas (minimum 200
miles one way), because Oklahoma has not had intercontinental passenger rail
service for the past 20 years.

Bear