SC - big spice question

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Apr 10 00:27:20 PDT 1999

At 1:46 AM -0500 4/10/99, Helen wrote:
>Great info.   It is a good place to start my order.  I have heard that if
>a recipe
>calls for a 1 tsp. of spice, say pepper for example, for a 1 pound roast,
>that if
>you did a 5 lb roast you would not use 5 tsp. of pepper.  So, pure math
>out not
>solve my up scaling the recipes for that size crowd.  Is that a true statment?

I don't know. I have heard it too, but have never figured out any good
argument for why it would be true. In any case, there is a considerable
range, for most recipes, in how much spice you can use and have it come out
tasty.

My calculations, incidentally, are from _Du Fait de Cuisine_, which is a
description of how to do a truly enormous feast--roughly on the scale of
feeding all of Pennsic for two days.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/