SC - feast cleanup for the head cook

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 09:07:30 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/11/99 9:00:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tollhase1 at aol.com writes:

<< es, even after working a twenty hour day
 preparing, cooking cleaning up, I and others have been known to come back in
 the next day and shampoo or wax the feast hall floor.  >>

I don't think the gist of the comment had anything to do withn general site
clean-up the last day of a weekend event. The focus was on  cleaning up after
the actual feast itself. Certainly, a Kitchen Steward can help with cleanup
if they choose to do so. And I agree that most of the workers in a shire are
the same old but the amount of physical labor involved in cooking a feast is
certainly more demanding than say, running the Troll Booth or any myriad of
other tasks. It is not more important than the other tasks but certainly
ranks next to Autocrat  in terms of intensive labor. To expect the Kitchen
Steward to do further hard labor  immediately after the feast is, IMO, not a
good thing.

One of the wonderful things about my household is that after any feast the
fighters in masse immedieately descend upon the kitchen after a feast and do
the cleanup. The Shire also seems to respect their cooks for the task they
have performed and although specific kitchen cleanup crews are not designated
for the most part, it always gets done.

I suupose this is a result of the appreciation and understanding for the
Kitchen Steward although this seems to bubble over into all the other areas
also. Perhaps I am just lucky enough to be living in the best shire, IMO, in
the entire SCA. ;-)

Ras