fwd: re: fwd: SC - cleanup

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Tue Apr 13 09:14:28 PDT 1999

I had the pleasure of attending the Outlands A&S Collegium this past
Saturday.  There were too many classes to choose from, so I spent most of
my time in the kitchens.  Watching and assisting Lord Morris was fun, and I
also was able to observe the other cooks and their helpers/students (it was
a Cooks challenge, and also a hands on class in feast prep.)  I know I
learned things, and I was told by my teacher that he also learned from me,
so it was a good experience all around.  I also had the pleasure of meeting
Mistress Mirhaxa face to face, finally having the opportunity to meet
another of the posters from this fine list.  I met many other new faces as
well, but the most memorable of those is Scarpellious (I doubt I am
spelling it right, I do not know if he has a title, he certainly never
mentioned it.)  This diligent gentle positioned himself at the sink (1 of
three in this kitchen) and from the time I got to the kitchen (around 10:00
am), until the time I left the site (8:30 PM?) he stood at that sink
washing dishes. As a pot, cutting board, knife, spoon, strainer, you name
it, if it needed washing this lord washed it. (He even washed (and trimmed)
some cabbages for me, so that I could concentrate on  chopping them for the
cook to prepare them  for the second round of the feast.)
Here I will defer to Mistress Viven for the description feast and After
Feast...

Gwen-Cat ^^  ~
Caerthe
- -------------
Original Text
From: <yarrowp at mscd.edu>, on 4/13/99 9:59 AM:
Thank you for your reply, Mistress Elaina.  And, indeed, Gwen is forwarding
to me those items which contain points that are either weighty, or
well-worded, or both, so I am not seeing the entire discussion (no need to
remedy that, dear Lady).

I don't recall if you were in attendance at this past weekend's Outlands
Arts and Sciences Collegium.  There was a cook's challenge, with three
"rounds" (courses) "fought" by three combatants.  At the end of the evening,
 all concerned agreed that the victor in the cook's challenge was an
elderly gentleman who spent the entire day doing *nothing* but everyone's
dishes.  He received a rousing cheer.  I gather this is his habit, and that
he claims no other talent but dishwashing, but that one he has perfected
and exercises to the best of his ability.  And, at the end of the day, I
did see many of the chivalry assisting with the carrying out of tables and
so forth.  Also one earl complaining bitterly because his gout was
troubling him and he could not help in the cleanup.  It was a cheering
event in that respect.

Thank you again.
Vivien