SC -German translations, was Pennsic Cookery Class Suggestions: Long

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Tue Apr 13 09:27:28 PDT 1999

Allison wrote:

>German words are a gestalt.  I try to break the word into its roots, and
>figure from there, if it isn't in my home-made glossary.  I miss the
>vernacular that way, and the older the recipe, the more dialectic it is,
>but I can get quite a few translations in my laborious way.
I can't remember, but are you the one I mailed my covvled together glassary
of German culinary dictionaries to? If so, did I ever send you a list of
sources to give you an idea what books there were taken from? I meant to,
but it slipped my mind.

>There is a book, _Mittelhochdeutsches Tashenworterbuch_, by Matthias
>Lexer, S. Hirsel, Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschat Stuttgart, 1992.
>I haven't had too much luck with it, yet.
I agree that this kind of thing is really hard to wade through. It works
from old German into new German, but that still leaves English speakers at
a handicap.

Probably would do better if I
>were literate in German.  Most modern dictionaries don't have cookery
>terms in them, probably because they are mostly written by men, and
>dictionary writers don't cook.

This is really true - kitchen language is really a jargon all it's own and
is often overlooked. Two additional kinds of dictionaries that might help
are regional dictionaries and culinary lexicons. Sometimes cooking terms in
southern German-speaking areas, such as Bavaria, Swabia, and Austria, are
different from the standard terms in modern German dictionaries. On the
lexicon, several years ago I found a German book at a used book store,
published around 1925, that was a lexicon of cooking terms and included a
section with the same words in English, German, and French. Still not
necessarilly period terminology, but it on occasion has pointed me in the
right direction. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the book, it's
still in storage, or I'd look it up.

Valoise