SC - After feast

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Apr 13 11:02:54 PDT 1999

>Inevitably, either nothing is done, or the people who volunteer for the
>committee have "other commitments" and you get one or two folks who
>sweep or wash dishes for about an hour and then have to go home.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on getting such a wonderful, noble
>tradition as yours started out here?  Any suggestions would be greatly
>
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>	- kat

Find folks to ask in advance for a few hours work after the feast.  Make
sure that they aren't folks who will have 'other commitments', like folks
that have only been in for 6 months to a year.  If they know in advance
that they will be doing grunt work for a while in the evening, they can
bring some older garb to work in.  Then, make it a treat.  Upbeat music
(some bawdy Irish drinking songs works well, instead of rock or something
[more] unperiod).  And then, have sodas, beer (if you're able), even
chocolates reserved for the clean-up crew.  I'll bet that pretty soon,
those 'other committments' will seem less important!  I have also
shamelessly asked a large Duke to be the 'Clean-up Crew Wrangler', I said
that I didn't need him to actually do the dishes, just help round up a
crew for the job.  That worked REALLY well.  ;)
	And shame on the event planners for not following through with filling
out the committee they formed!  I know it is just one more thing to be
done, but in my experience, we have a lot of people who are more than
willing to help out, but they need to know what needs to be done, and
have someone who knows when and where things need doing.  (OK, maybe I
sound like a Pelican, but really, a little bit of advance planning and
someone who can direct the flow of work is all it takes!)
		Mistress Christianna
		who is intimately familiar with the tools of cleaning up, but 		doesn't
necessarily want to have to use them all the time!