SC - long pepper use

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Tue Apr 13 19:44:55 PDT 1999

Ras rites:
>I don't know about Adamantius but I regularly use many period spices in my
>every day cooking including 3 spice grinders on the stove. One with Black
>Pepper, one with Ga mixture of Grains of Paradise and Cubebs and the third
>with Long Pepper. There is seldom a day that goes by when all are not used.

I think i'll have to get some Long Pepper. I don't care for Black Pepper,
but will use when required, because it makes me gag, literally. I don't
know why. The flavor doesn't bother me and i can suck down lots of hot
chili and garlic. So for personal cooking, i use White Pepper, which
doesn't have this effect. I learned about it from Indonesian friends from
Java - spice use varies considerably from island to island. I bought Cubeb
on a whim once about 25 years ago, and found the slightly citrus quality
delightful. I mashed them in my porcelain mortar.

Can the flavor of Grains of Paradise be described? I have some for other
purposes and never tried them in cuisine.

Your humble servant,
Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi