SC - tomatoes

RoseThstle at aol.com RoseThstle at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 04:08:34 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/13/99 11:30:37 PM EST, slzgs at cc.usu.edu writes:

<< Period or not?
 Highly used in Southern Italy.
 Wild in northern regions.
 Why no recipes from France or England about them and if so what
 are they and were to find them?

I'll wade in here.. if I'm not mistaken.. (and I am most of the time)
Northern Europeans and Briton considered tomatoes poisonous.   Someone
probably tried to eat the leaves and had some distress from them.. and
therefore the whole plant was poisonous.  (that is my own conclusion..
certainly not entirely documented.)  Considering that monarch butterfly
catepillars eat the leaves so they won't get picked off by birds..It probably
left a nasty taste in one's mouth