SC - Rose water

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 05:37:04 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/19/99 12:44:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< I don't use anywhere
 near that much *regular* pepper in a year, much less long pepper. And
 I *like* pepper.  But I will readily admit that Ras does more cooking
 from fresh ingredients than I.  >>

As a single person cooking for 2, I use approx. 1 lb black peppercorns; 1/2
lb each grains, cubebs, and true cinnamon; 6 to 8 grams saffron, 1 lb plus
long pepper, 4 oz. galingal, 2 to 3 ozs nigella seed, 3 ozs whole nutmegs
plus my regular spices such as caraway, anatto, cardamon, corianderseed, etc.
Add to this, fresh and dried herbs in quantity. Yes, I use a LOT of seasoning
throughout the year but then I also reularly cook foods from the cuisines of
India, Africa and the Middle East as standard fair.

To use potaoes as an example of food served in my house which seldom finds
its way to the table, I buy less than 15 lbs total potatoes in a uear.
However, I go through at least 5 to 10 lbs of couscous, rice, and bulgar
wheat, quinoa and other grains.

Granted this may not be typical for an American kitchen, I certainly did not
exaggerate my spice consumption preferring to actually list 'conservative'
amounts. I also use 1 to 2 qts of whole milk yogurt a week. Given that I do
not normally use preprocessed foods, I do not find these figures outside the
norm. :-)

Ras