SC - another - Rose water question

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 20:48:30 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/19/1999 11:10:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mermayde at juno.com writes:

> There are similar amounts up to which it is legal for a homebrewer to
>  make for personal consumption, which in most cases even active SCA
>  brewers don't exceed.  I don't know the amounts, but remember thinking
>  that it would cover anything I ever wanted to do nicely.
>  Christianna

This comes up occasionally. You can brew or vint up to 200 gallons last I
heard. So far as I know distilling is a no no without some kind of permit,
and their scarce since the Reagan administration dropped the alternative fuel
research.

I always ask this question when somebody says what you just sent. Please
please PLEASE give me a written source that says officially I can distill,
even a small amount. I'd love it. Do you have such a source? Otherwise, I'm
looking at about six months in jail for the first offense last I heard. This
comes up with startling regularity in the brewing list, and nobody's given me
an official source yet. In fact just the opposite. When they contact the BATF
they say don't even consider the possibility. This may be bureaucratic
ignorance, saying no if they don't know officially it's yes. Your mileage may
vary, but given the way they react, I'm going to take the coward's way out.

Corwyn