SC - SC-Coleman Fantasy Kitchen

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Apr 19 22:30:21 PDT 1999

The Kyle (my clan chief) made some kitchen boxes that are wonderful.
Trays set just inside, the depth of most spice bottles, so that the tray
can be lifted out and set on a table for easy use.  There's quite an
assortment of bottles, can, boxes, packets, etc. but even the Spice
Island bottle can stand up.  A similar tray holds cutlery in the second
box, including work utensils in appropriatly sized divisions.  The
bottoms of the boxes hold feast gear and pots and pans and staples.  As
to being able to lift them, most of us can't!

He often rents a small Grimms as the kitchen tent for Pennsic, and sets
up a rack of the type that looks like a kid's erector set.  The drying
pots, etc. go upside down on this after cleaning.  A bungy cord goes
through a roll of paper towels and hooks onto some of the tent sides in a
corner.  2 dinette tables with wooden cutting board tops have removable
legs--or get packed upside down, I forget--and holds the 2 double burner
colemans.  the cases of propane and bottled water are stored underneath.
There's a fabric cover for a huge plastic cooler of water which gets a
fresh block of ice every morning and some of the bottled water.  Several
chests, of about 20-24" height, contain hidden coolers full of ice and
Pepsi, and other good things he brews.  The chests are all wood, painted,
and double as extra seating when needed.  A Coleman lantern is hung from
the tent pole as our 'chandelier'.

It's a mix of looks--some period, some modern, but all very useful.  3
dishpans line up and hold hot soapy water, bleach water disinfectant, and
final clear rinse.  Towels at the end of the line provide the drying
space.

A wonderful addition has been the big round table and the chairs a
'nephew' built.  We sit out under starry nights, talking over candlelight
and sipping our wine.

My 'kitchen' is a set of plastic milk type crates that live inside my
tent, holding everything out of sight, a cardtable with a cover, ice
chests with covers, which double as extra seating, and a Coleman (when
it's working) that lives underneath the table when not in use.   I have a
candle lantern hanger and 2 tiki torches for light, as well as lanterns
and candles for the tables.

  Not fancy, not elaborate, and boy would I love to be able to afford to
have built the kitchen I see in my dreams!

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc