SC - RE: Cherry soup? Or cherry pudding?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 10:46:23 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/20/99 1:29:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<<  I
 guess I was fighting the dish to be what I expected instead of what it
 is!

 So, that's why getting a copy of the book is important to do this
 redaction thing well, rather than working from individual recipes.
 But the cherry bread pudding is lovely with cream poured over it!

 Bonne

Since we have no idea what the recipe was really like, your redaction is just
as legimate and interpretation as someone elses. If you are happy with
results, have followed the recipe faithfully, have not unduly substituted
ingredients and did not attempt to make it conform to the non-existent
'modern' palette then you have a bone fide redacted recipe that you can put
your name to. For all our great pronouncements and this and thating the
bottom line is that NOONE knows exactly what any medieval recipe  was like
unless they find a current recipe that deviates not a sijngle iota from the
original. We can make educated guesses but a guess is a guess.

When you make good guesses that produce good food then you are right on. :-)
Although some people I know personally have recieved recognition and high
awards for copying other peoples work and only using other peoples redactions
in SCA cooking, there is much more satisfaction and a sense of real
achievement when you persue your own research and faithfully redact your own
recipes. In that lies true and worth.

I think that those who wear tin hats , as well as, a few the more
accomplished cooks here that do not will agree with me that  without
individual work and research, the choices of already done recipes would be
extremely limited today. I welcome any recipes I find and also create many
from period sources. Some of those creations are entirely different than
those that came before but , IMO and experience, just as accurate. Keep up
the good work and post your cherry bread pudding recipe. If it is too off the
wall, I'm sure that people will help with any points you may have overlooked.
:-)

Ras