SC - naming tables?

Peggy A. Stonnell izzie at vcn.bc.ca
Wed Apr 21 21:52:50 PDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Mike C. Baker wrote:

<snip>
> >They name the tables?  Whatever for?
>
> Schtick, "presentation", great good fun, ease of identification, etc.
>
> Your local full-service restaurants in the modern age name
> tables as well, they just use numbers instead.

And if you get stuck with a hall steward who will not take advice from the
kitchen, you really need some way of identifing the different tables.  The
only feast where I was in charge of butlery, the hall was laid out with
tables ranging in capacity from 8 people to 12 (not the mention the table
for two off in the corner where the enterainment was sitting.  After all,
no one told *me* about that one.) And we had pairs of servers working
pairs of tables together.  We all had to know which table which platter
was going to, as we couldn't divide things evenly.  Never, never do this
if at all possible.

Isobel fitz Gilbert
member, Company of Provisioners
Barony of Lions Gate, An Tir