SC - Goat roast help requested

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 22 00:34:07 PDT 1999

Lucretzia,

Haven't cooked a goat, but with other critters that might be tough, I go
with wet heat and long, slow cooking.  If you can get it on or in a pan
with at least an inch lip, add a little wine + water to the bottom of the
pan to provide some steam, and for basting.  Lard or butter it well,
cover with a tent of foil, fold the sheet edges together to make a large
enough tent, and cook at only 300* until fairly tender.  Remove foil tent
and turn up heat for browning.  Add whatever you like in the way of
seasonings to the larding--garlic is good.  My Mother used to slip half
cloves of garlic under the skin of lamb.  Thyme, oregano and marjoram all
grow where goats live; so does mint I think, but I don't know how old
your goat is and how strong the taste will be.  They say you should
flavor an animal with the herbs it eats.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA