SC - Austrian Sour Rye - OOP

Thu Apr 22 19:04:29 PDT 1999

I don't know how long they've been making this in Central Europe, but since
we can't document it, the recipe is OOP.  Caraway seeds and sesame seeds are
traditional in light ryes.

Uncut loaves stay moist a long time.  My last loaf and a half of sour rye
disappeared in a few minutes at the Annual Saturday Night OU Med Fair Feed
and it was four days old.

I did make one departure from the recipe.  The first rise was extend over a
week as I built up to a gallon and a half of starter.  It soured nicely and
produced a reasonable sour rye and an even better batter bread.

Enjoy,

Bear

Austrian Sour Rye

First Rise

2 cups sourdough starter
3 cups wheat flour (strong bread flour preferred)
2 cups warm water

Break the starter apart in the warm water.
Stir in the flour to make a thick batter.
Cover and let rise for at least 12 hours.
Return 1 cup of the starter  to the starter jar.  Feed.

Second Rise

Proofed batter from the first rise
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons caraway seed (optional)
2 cups rye flour
4 cups wheat flour

Mix batter, water, salt and caraway seed in a bowl.
Add rye flour and mix.
Add white flour one cup at a time until the dough balls or becomes to stiff
to work by hand.
Turn out on floured surface and knead until satiny.
Divide the dough and shape two loaves.
Place in greased tins or on a greased baking sheet.
Let rise until doubled (2 to 3 hours).
Bake in pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F for approximately 55 minutes or
until done.