SC - Saffron

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 06:53:39 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/23/99 9:17:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

<< Around here they sell "Mexican Saffron"  that is the entire bloom.
 Imparts a pale color and NO taste.
 It is very inexpensive when compared to the real thing, but expensive for
the
 results.

 Mordonna >>

The product that we are referring to  in this fake saffron thread is made
from the petals of the Safflower. It imparts all the color of saffron but
absolutely NONE of the flavor. My advice is to avoid buying any saffron that
is not whole as safflower is often used as an adulterant in ground or crushed
'saffron'. The brillisnt reddish color of true saffron cannot be mistaken
once you have seen it. Saffron, like caviar, is oftentimes subject to
unscrupulous producers and dealers.

Ras