SC - Hi, I'm new to the list.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 27 00:07:58 PDT 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> Phillipa knows that it does not matter where you live now, but where you were
> born and raised that makes you a Southerner, or a Yankee for that matter.

I'm inclined to agree, with a couple of minor provisos: Philippa (as
opposed to Phillipa, who is, I believe, from PA) was born in Virginia,
yes? On the other hand, there is an opinion held by some Southerners
that anyone who comes from a state further north than your own, even if
it _does_ have a town called Fayetteville, as we all know every true
Southern state does, is really a Yankee state... .

I base this on personal experience: a few years ago I actually witnessed
several people (maybe 6 or 7), all of whom I'd classify as Southerners,
and each of whom, coincidentally, came from a Fayetteville in a
different state, arguing about how Georgians weren't really Southerners
(the speaker being from Florida, I believe) but simply Yankees with
manners, while the Georgians in the room argued that it was the
Virginians that were really Yankees, and also that the Floridians ought
not to be so cocky, since everyone knew Floridians were really just a
bunch of transplanted New Yorkers, etc.

Now I'm not in New England, but then AFAIK, there is no Fayetteville,
NY, so I couldn't be a Southerner if I tried.

I'm pretty close to Yankee Stadium, though...does that count?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com