krapfen...was RE: SC -beef stew, was period fruit pastries

Wed Apr 28 06:44:19 PDT 1999

> Bear tells us re: krapfen
>
> >Modern krapfen are Berliner's, deep fat fried jelly-filled doughnuts.
> >
> >Period krapfen are more eclectic having meat, fish and fruit fillings.
>
> At a non-SCA event in southern California, I was invited to help cook. As
> side dish, I attempted to make the apple and hazelnut krapfen, filling
> frozen dough lumps with the fruit and nut mixture and deep frying.
>
> The quote of the week...
> "Krapfen? Dees ees noot krapfen! Dees ees gut, boot dees ees noot
> krapfen!"
> That and lots of "ja, ja!"s ...:)
>
> --AM
> "ich been ein krapfen!"

Thank you for the anecdote.  One of the problems researching krapfen is that
the modern recipes available (even those I can find in German) appear to be
for sweet fillings.  Your experience suggests that krapfen, as common fare,
may be closer to the medieval recipes.

Unfortunately, I was just starting into cooking when I lived there, so I
didn't get deeply involved in the cultural differences in the food.  Maybe,
I need to go back. :-)

Bear