SC - Re: sca-cooks 27-ingredient chili -oop, ot

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Apr 28 18:10:14 PDT 1999

For the gentle who requested a copy of Nancy Pickard's 27 ingredient chili
(from the book of the same title--)

1 lb. dry pinto beans (don't get me into any arguments; I'm typing as I see
it)
water to cover
1/2 C butter or margarine
2 medium onions, chopped
7-oz. can diced green chilies
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 lb. chopped sirloin
1 lb. pork sausage
2 T flour
1-lb. can baked beans
4-oz can pimientos
2 30-oz cans tomatoes
3/4 C chopped celery
1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 C chopped sweet red pepper
1/2 C chopped green pepper
9-oz can pitted ripe olives, chopped
1/2 C minced parsley
12-oz bottle chili sauce
1 T salt
1 T garlic salt
2 t black pepper
1 T chopped cilantro
1 T oregano
2-4 T chili powder, to taste
grated orange peel
1 pt. sour cream

Wash and drain pinto beans and soak in water overnight.  Bring to boil, lower
heat, and simmer 2-3 hours or until tender.  Drain.  Meanwhile, melt butter
in large skillet and add onions, shallots, chilies, and garlic.  Saute until
onion is soft.  Add chopped sirloin and cook over moderate heat until meat is
brown.  In a separate pan brown sausage and pour off fat.  Add sausage to
meat mixture.  Sprinkle with flour and stir to blend, then transfer to Dutch
oven or 8-qt. kettle.  Add pinto and canned beans and all remaining
ingredients except sour bream; bring just to boil.  Lower heat and simmer
about 30 minutes.  Skim off fat with a cold spoon as it rises to the top.
Serve with sour cream.  Serves 20.

Freezes wonderfully.

Enjoy--   Devra the Baker