SC - Re:Jamaican Rub me the Wrong Way

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 28 18:26:32 PDT 1999

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> If there were people kiving in Jamaica during the Middle ages. Sure. :-)
> Jamaica is after all a culture west of  most cultures we study. :-)

	There were people living there- a branch of the Arawak tribe. But
their contact with the supposedly 'civilized' Europeans was brief and
bloody. Something like 50 years after Colombus, the islands were nearly
bare, leaving plenty of room for the Europeans to colonize the
'uninhabited' area.
	I do not believe though, that the tribes of the Caribbean are an
area that the SCA covers. (As for me, I think that the Middle Ages ended
around 1470-85 for most of Europe, much earlier for Italy. Once the Tudors
have a hold on England I don't much care, though some of their descendants
are interesting to study on their own.)

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731