Stew (was SC - period fruit pastries)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:36:55 PDT 1999

 I'm quite happy this thread is lurking in my unread messages.  We've
decided to have a newby night at the house of the seneschal of our
next door canton, and she wants something like bread and stew for them
to taste.  I don't know if I will use this recipe Anne Marie, but if I
do people will surely like handouts, so may I have your permission to
print this off and make a dozen copies?)

Meanwhile, a question regarding your redaction:

>here';s my version of the queen's hotchpot, a meat and veggie stew
from Digby.
>All rights reserved, no publication without permission, etc.
>
>enjoy!
>--AM
>
>   A while after take a good lump of Household bread, bigger
than your
>fist, crust and crum, broil it upon a Gridiron, that it be thoroughly
toasted;
>scrape off the black burning on the out-side; then soak it thoroughly
in
>Vinegar, and put this lump of tost into your Posnet to stew with  it,
which
>before you serve it up, melt a good lump of Butter (and proceed to
make and use a roux)

>Our Version:
>Meanwhile, take the hunk of bread and toast well (350o oven for about
10
>minutes), scrape off any black corners and soak in the vinegar.
Throw the
>hunk
>of bread into the stew and continue to simmer until the crust
separates, about
>15 minutes. Remove and discard the crust.

Why do you remove the crust?  The original doesn't mention that. If it
keeps stewing, won't it basically distentegrate?  It does when I make
russian black bread soup, and gives the soup a certain texture.  Not
really thicker, but something like.

Bonne