SC - Re: seder menu.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 2 08:56:36 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/2/99 10:16:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> heilveil at uiuc.edu writes:
>
> << Unless you are sephardic (spanish/morrocan Jews) legumes are plum out, >>
>
> IIIRC, the lady did say that this was a 'Spanish' feast so the legumes are
> appropriate since you define sephardic as Spanish Jews or did I miss
> something in the original recipe post?
>
> Ras

True, I recall reading that too. The point was probably more that it
would be a problem for Ashkenazik (sp?) Jews to recreate that aspect of
a perfectly fine Sephardic tradition. Lady Phillipa more or less pleaded
liberality based on a group of non-Orthodox diners, which was probably a
pretty good way to balance the rules imposed by her faith against her
obligations as a host. She doesn't say if she ate any... ;  ) .

Hey, a question born of curiosity. I gather that seed foods (i.e. grains
and legumes) are out for Passover, except for matzoh products. It seems
not to apply to other seeds eaten, like peppercorns. Is it that the
rationale I heard, of eating no seed foods, is inaccurate, or did some
rabbi simply fail to consider the implications at some point?

Adamantius, prolly in trouble now
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com