SC - Angelfood

Margo Hablutzel margolh at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Apr 2 08:29:32 PST 1999

	Subject: Re: SC - Eating dairy on Chanukah

	In a message dated 3/31/99 12:30:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
	margolh at nortelnetworks.com writes:

	<< does give me leave to "Make a Fine Brede" and serve that,
translating
	 the title as "angelfood cake." >>

	I think a closer translation, if I have me English correct, would be
"Make a
	Fine Bread". :-)

	Ras

Oh, I agree, but that misses the entire point of the exercise.

Adamantius asked:

	Well, it's not really a matter legal precedent or what you have
leave to
	do. Does the Fine Brede actually resemble angelfood cake for the
same
	reason angelfood cake has its particular characteristics, or is it
light
	and spongy, white and ever so slightly rubbery for a different
reason? I
	assume it has all these characteristics or it wouldn't really
resemble
	angelfood cake.

It's not rubbery, but it is white, spongy, and all that.  (How do you get
rubbery angelfood cake, unless it's the stuff you buy at bakery wrapped in
plastic?)  The original recipe calls for beating egg whites with sugar,
flour, and aniseseeds, and both dedactions came out somewhat
angelfood-cakelike, although not as high-raised because you don't make a
meringue, then add flour, as modern recipes require.  Instead, it all gets
beaten together, and the issue for me is whether you beat the eggs first,
then add the rest, or beat it all at once.

	I ask largely out of curiosity: I'm not familiar with this recipe,
	perhaps you could post it, and the source, at some point?

Yes, I know it's a 15th Century something, from one of the books at
Cariadoc's, and I may not have written the exact source in the margin of the
page.  I'll check at home over the weekend; remind me if I don't post it on
Monday.

	But yes, sometimes it doesn't hurt to help people deal with an
	unfamiliar food by identifying it with a modern food the people
would be
	familar with.

Yes, and since it is more like angelfood cake than what moderns think of as
bread (except maybe Wonder Bread, although it has more of a crust and is
sweeter and anise-flavoured), revising the name to a recognizable analogy
made sense to me.

								---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
	           |/ margolh at nortelnetworks.com <mailto:margolh at nt.com>  *
Hablutzel at compuserve.com <mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com>
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!