SC - Kitchen Steward Panics, film at 11:00

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 06:08:16 PDT 1999

CorwynWdwd at aol.com writes:

<< 1. What, in the lists estimation, is adequate to keep a riot from
happening
 and yet allowing us to keep the leftovers to a minimum? >>

This is pretty tough to answer not knowing what the complete menu is but
modern cooking usually uses 3 ozs per person boneless and 4 to 6 ozs. bone
in. tThis is of course, a widely variant factor depending on the meat. I
would say 3 ozs. minimum per portion for the main meat Meats being used as
fillers for pies, etc. would be less say a pound per table.

Here are the meat amounts I am using for  160 on-board for Ladies Champion
Tourney to held on May 8.

20 ibs lamb cubes  plus 10 lbs ground lamb plus what ever goat trimmings (one
dish)
40 lbs. chicken thighs (bone in) for chicken sausages)
2 whole goats (main meat)

The chicken was gotten for 29 cents a lb. Goats came to 108 dollars (1.35/lb)
total.
I am unsure of the lamb cost but the toal meat bill is less than 200 dolars.

Since I have a whole deer in my freezer I may even throw that on the outside
grill for good measure. :-)

Anyway meat costs do not have to be high if you look around. Expensive cuts
are unnecessary and a waste if you are grinding or chopping them anyway.
Leftover meats are great for reheating at breakfast the next day and keeps
the cost of that meal down. Any leftovers can be put in baggies and offered
to those who want to take it home with them. Since it is already paid for
from feast fees, we never charge for it and it is a good way of saying
thank-you to those who have worked hard to make the event happen. Of course
it is veggies and grains that are mostly leftover but there are some who
appreciate them. :-)

Ras