SC - Pennsic Cookery Classes?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Apr 8 07:12:06 PDT 1999

>What sort of classes are attendees looking for?
>What would be interesting?
>
>Ras

Well, this isn't cooking, but we have been discussing this on the Herb
List.  I have volunteered to teach my class that I have been developing
and teaching this year, called, "Start With the Basics: Understanding the
Common Herbs".  It deals on a beginning level with specific herbs that
were in common usage during the Middle Ages (and in Classical Times for
most of them) and are still known today. One of my requirements was that
they were found growing in the US, because one of my classes was for a
Den Gathering of Cub Scouts and Weebelos.  I have attended classes for
herbs (and cooking) where the levels of attendees were so widely varied
in knowledge and experience levels, that too much time was spent on
beginning stuff, and anything discussed for the more experienced folks
went right over the heads of the newcomers.  I wanted a class that would
address specific herbs on a newcomer basis, that went beyond just
covering the basics of herbal use, wildcrafting, saftey issues,
etc.(which do get covered, but hopefully are more meaningful in the
context of discussion about actual plant examples.)
	The discussion on the Herb List from there is about doing a series of
classes, that focus on different levels of experience so that everyone
gets something challenging.
	I have noticed many more cooking classes in the Pennsic book than herbal
classes, and a few 'Beginning Feastcratting' classes, but how about
something more specific, yet still geared to a certain level?   ie.
'Coffins for Hidden Subtleties'  or 'Basic Sauces Found in Medieval
Recipies'.  That way, someone who is new gets more meat out of a class
than the basic overview.  One hour is not much time to cover a lot of
material, so in-depth specifics work well, IMO.
	Whatcha think?
Christianna