SC - Platina books

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 13 10:12:23 PDT 1999

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 13-Apr-99 SC - Platina books
by Christina Nevin at caci.co.

> Venice, L De Aguila, "Platina De Honesta Voluptate" 1967, Mallinckrodt
> collection of Food Classics  translation of rare 1475 cookbook

I have this one.  It is a decent translation and has a facsimile of the
original on facing pages.  However, it is severely lacking in background
information and notes -- it is just a translation.  The table of
contents isn't -- it's just a translation of the original, so you have
to leaf through the text to find anything in particular.

>  Platina, Mary Ella Milham "Platina : On Right Pleasure and Good Health"
> 1998, Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, v.168

If you have to get just one translation -- this is the one to get.  Good
translation, lots of notes on both the translation, and background
comments.  There is a long introductory section giving a history of the
work and the author and some discussion of Italian foods and foodways in
the time of Platina. The table of contents tells you what page to find
the recipes on.  I believe the work is indexed as well (I didn't
actually check when I had a copy in hand), and I believe there is a
bibliography.  On the downside, there are no facsimiles,although printed
Latin text is included.

toodles, margaret