SC - Platina books

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 13 11:57:10 PDT 1999

Christina Nevin wrote:

> Jerred Metz "The Temperate Voluptuary; Freely rendered from Platina's
> cookbook, on its 500th anniversary." 1975, Capra Press

I haven't seen this one, but the description makes it sound, I dunno,
kinda touristy, and I'm concerned about that "freely rendered" stuff ;  )

> Venice, L De Aguila, "Platina De Honesta Voluptate" 1967, Mallinckrodt
> collection of Food Classics  translation of rare 1475 cookbook

I've seen this one, and it's okay, but...

>  Platina, Mary Ella Milham "Platina : On Right Pleasure and Good Health"
> 1998, Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, v.168

This one is better. It gives both the Latin and English, which as I
recall, the Mallinckrodt edition doesn't. It's an excellent translation
and tells you much more about the author and his world than any other
edition I've seen.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy