SC - site fee entitlement

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Apr 14 11:08:38 PDT 1999

Actually, I've paid at every event I've gone too, particularly for my shire,
because they needed the money EXCEPT when I went to Adamantius' Crown feast
(a 14 hour drive 1-way just to help out) and Ras' feast (8 hours) and in
both cases the gentlemen paid for me. Actually, I probably should have paid
at both, since what I learned from both gentlemen was invaluable,
particularly in Adamantius' situation- he gave me an unbelieveable lesson in
How To Deal With Everything Going Wrong Without Losing It- he got a Burdened
Tyger for that one, and it was richly deserved. I don't feel that a cook
should pay for feast, however- if you're really working at it, you don't
have time to eat. At Adamantius' Crown, I think I got two cheese cubes, and
sanded the callouses off my feet on the asphalt between kitchens (ask
Allison about the soles of my feet, normally). At Ras', the only reason I
ate was a diabetic lady came by after feast because her sugar was
fluctuating, and the only reason I sat and ate with her was so she wouldn't
feel so weird about being fed seperately- anyway, it gave me a chance to
bite those rabbits BACK!!!!!!! (Hi, Ras).

I will say this- when I needed people to do things, like set up tables, or
carry heavy pots of soup, or whatever, the East Kingdom people were more
than willing to pitch in- all I had to do was ask. Also, when the kitchen
got crowdwed with non-essential people, a quiet, "If you aren't working,
would you please stand over there" worked well. I was acting as Adamantius'
gofer in addition to grilling the pork roasts, so I did a lot of asking
people to do things, and even though most of them had never laid eyes on me
before, all were willing to cooperate.

I think it's more a matter of people not knowing what to do to help, than
any real unwillingness to pitch in. The only person who was reluctant was a
young lady who was a vegetarian who was unwilling to work with the meat, but
she pitched in quite cheerfully, when I put her to helping on the
vegetables, thus freeing someone else up to do the meat.

I think we just need to learn to ask, and be polite about it.

And it was Brekke who handed King Timothy the plunger and told him to fix
the boy's bathroom..... ;-) Adamantius had to stop him from doing it.

Phlip

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

When pompous people irk me with their regal attributes,
It pleases me to imagine how they'd look in bathing suits.