SC - big spice question

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 08:52:35 PDT 1999

><< Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you,
> Helen >>
>
>Since I have been wroking with you in private a little on this
project, you
>will , hopefully understand that what I am about to say is serious
but not
>critical.
>
>I think you are putting the cart in front of the horse, so to speak.
First
>you get your recipes worked out and written in the final format. Then
you
>take a piece of paper and write down the amount of each ingredient.
Then you
>add it up. The resulting figures found under the individual
seasioning names
>will be the 'amount of spice  you need to buy'. It really is that
simple. ;-)

>Ras

And then, when cooking, start by adding a little less than the math
calls for and working your way up. Mass quantities don't always behave
mathmatically correctly in taste and you could overdo it.  But do
purchase the mathmatically correct amount, because you might well need
it all, and you'd hate to need it and have bought less.

For me, the hardest part in all this is going from the teaspoons and
partial tablespoons called for in recipes for 8-12 to the ounces
you'll need to make enough for 400. I tried measuring the weight of
teaspoons- and tablespoons-full of each spice and estimating up.  I
tried counting the number of spoonfuls in an ounce and figuring down.
 I got inconsistent numbers on the few I did both ways. The whole
issue was complicated by the call for measurements of ground spices,
but I was buying whole.  In the end, the Whole Foods Market bulk spice
aisle has measuring spoons and I counted out 22 teaspoons of cinnamon
and 8 and 1/2 tablespoons of anise seed, etc.,  adding an extra
heaping spoonful to the bag if I was buying whole but planning on
grinding a spice. When I do this again, I'll do it by recipe and mark
the bags: 10 tsp cinnamon for pie, 5 tsp cinnamon for the beef.

Bonne