SC - New? Book

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 18:28:40 PDT 1999

Just got a new book.  Don't know much about it.  It's called "The Horizon
Cookbook".  It's a two volume set.  One is sub-titled "Illustrated History"
the other is "Menus and Feasts".  Copyright 1968 by American Heritage
Publishing Company, it purports to be an "Illustrated History of Eating and
Drinking Through the Ages."
There is an extensive list of picture credits, and a bibliography, but no
footnotes, so their sources may not be 100% reliable, but there is some
interesting reading here.  One of the sources listed is the Flower and
Rosenbaum translation of De Re Cocinaria, and there is no mention of the
Vehling.
So far I have read perhaps a third of the first volume with mixed opinions.
There is a lot of Euro-centric pseudo-anthropology in it, not surprising
considering the decade it was published in, but it is surprisingly even
handed in its treatment of the Middle Ages.  I'll let you all know my opinion
after I've read it and tested some of the recipes.
Mordonna