SC - SC-Coleman Fantasy Kitchen

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Apr 19 19:49:20 PDT 1999

At 10:14 PM -0400 4/15/99, Aelfwyn at aol.com wrote:

>Ah, the Coleman Fantasy Kitchen. We all know a certain Duke, Sir is gonna
>have a fit on this issue,

You are entitled to make your own decisions about what is or isn't worth
doing. My experience is that figuring out how to do what you want with
period technology is more interesting than figuring out how to do what you
want with modern technology and hide it.

Exempla Gratia: coolers. We used to bring a cooler to Pennsic. Eventually
we decided that it not only wasn't period, it was a nuisance, so we started
figuring out how to do without one. When we do dinner for the encampment,
we pick dishes that are easy to do over a fire. Breakfast is currant cakes,
and leftovers, and bread, and apples, and ...  .

The constraint of trying to do things in a period way pushes you out of the
habit of asking "how can I do what I am used to doing in the 20th century
at an event" and asking, instead, "how can I achieve my objectives with the
technology they had."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/