SC - SC: feedback for menu, please!

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Apr 20 09:45:34 PDT 1999

> Second course:
> Eduardos Stuffed Pork roast (stuffed with cheese and spices)
> Edens rissotto (cheesy starchy unit)
> salat of cold hen (cold and crunchy, chicken and apples and onion)
> mushroom tarts (slightly sweet mushroom and cheese tart)
> stuffed salmon (stuffed with herbs and in a slightly citrus sauce)
> buttered onions (apples and onions baked with butter)
>
> Third Course:
> tartes of pear (think toast with pear jam)
> marchpanes (sugarcookies with marzapan decorations
> douctes (a saffrony custard tart)
> ypocras (spiced wine)
> cherries in snow (the only periooide dish...cherries stewed in ruby port
> and spices with whipped cream. If we feel too guilty, we'll do wardyns in
> syrrop)
> candied orange peel
> ices
>
> So! seems to me there's a lot of cheese in the second course...any other
> feedback? We've also gotten comments that there's too much meat.
> Comments are appreicated...we'd like to keep this as period as possible
> (part of the Period-is-tasty crusade :)).
>
> thanks,
> --AM

Good Day Anne-Marie,

The menu is wonderful and I would love to attend. The only real thing I see
that you may consider is switching a dish or two around to create complimentary
flavor/texture. Basically in the second course everything seems slightly
sweet. Perhaps adding a vinegary dish or swapping the buttered onions and the
carrots a la varenne would balance a bit better. Or add a peppery or garlicky
dish.

In the Third course you may look to add or replace one dish with a slightly
bitter dish to counteract all of the sweet. Somewhat like we do with coffee
today. The orange peel could possibly do this. Or you could make the wine
just slightly tart over sweet. It really depends on the recipe.

These are real minor quibbles on a very lovely feast. Thank you for
sharing with us.

Yours,

Gunthar