SC - Malmens Bastard

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 21:18:40 PDT 1999

Found this recipe in His Excellency, Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow's excellent
A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks, page 79, from Two
Fifteenth Century Cookery Books, Cookery bookII, Harl. 4016, page 94

"Malmens bastard  Take a potell of clarefied hony, and a pounde of pynes, and
I. pounde of Raysons of coraunce, Saundres, pouder canell, and ij. galons of
wyne r ale, and pouder peper, and cast al in a potte, and skeme hit clene;
And (th)en take iij. li. pounde (3 pounds of pounded) Almondes, and stepe
to-gidre, And drawe hem (th)orgh a streynowr; And whan the potte boyleth,
cast (th)e licour to, & aley hit vp al stonding; And (th)en take pouder
ginger, salt in saffron, and ceson hit vppe, and serue hit forth in a dissh
al hote, and salt; And cast pouder ginger thereon in (th)e dissh, and serue
it forth"
My question is this:  How much wine would you use?  I know the "galon" used
then and there was a bit different than the current US standard gallon, but I
forget what the difference is.  Wasn't it about five quarts?  Would five
liters be approximately right?

Mordonna